Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Vacation called Goa!

Short as it was, and given the way our schedules look, probably the last vacation in a long long time, I really looked forward to Goa. Clapped my hands in glee, pretended the right amount of surprise and went along on the 4 day vacation happily. Given that we are vegetarians, I even took along homemade kakra, chevda and tonnes of 'munchings'!

We were booked into 'Club Mahindra - Varca Beach'. The resort was quite lovely, on the shore, with a lovely coastline that offers swimming and other activities like parasailing, speedboats, waterskiing, dolphin-watching etc. Also deck chairs and a coupla shacks that offer alcohol at unimaginable rates! Really low :) The resort is also quite kid-friendly was lots of activities for children from pottery to craft classes and cooking classes as well as round the clock inboard games (some paid, some free). Also, activities for the non-swimmers - evening tambola type activities (yawn!)

My surprise was at the number of signs in Russian... seems like Goa is the hot spot destination for the newly-rich Russia that wants to flaunt its wealth. We were at Benaulim beach in South Goa when a horde of Sarong-selling, Shell-selling, Beads-selling and other-unmentionables selling hawkers descended on the crowd. We are the only brownskinned lot there and it was funny how they studiously worked AROUND us. We were never pestered, not once!

A must do for tipplers is this place called Longinos (or spelt differently I think) in Madgaon. The costliest wines there were Rs.150/- a glass! The best of whiskies retailed for Rs.60/- a peg! Strairway to Heaven indeed! Food I was told, totally rocked with king prawns and pomfret. As for me, it was coconut water galore and dal-chaawal!

I realized that I hate to come back from holidays... in fact even the holidays themselves do not see me in the peak of enjoyment... my best phase is the anticipation of the holiday.. when I plan what to take, give the maid and cook a few days off, pack and double check my packing and finally lock the house to leave. Now that am back to work (lots of work), sigh! Goa seems like a far off dream... but like the Terminator says "I shall be back baby"!

5 comments:

  1. In America, there's even a special syndrome named after post-holiday blues, I forget what its' called though! That's to be expected ofcourse.. but I agree, there's always more fun in the anticipation of it than actually doing it!

    I wanna go to a beach now! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    As promised I'm back (just a few days shy of 6 weeks) and letting you know :)

    I'm so jealous your vacation sounds just lovely!! Even though I just got back from 4 days of complete relaxation in San Fran and I'm headed to NY for 4 days this coming weekend (new years etc :D) hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a good relaxed time..I agree...getting there and planning to get there is one of the best things about taking a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally agree about vacations! i just got back from two in one month and can't wait for the next! lovely write-up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goa Rocks!!!
    and daaru is cheap everywhere in Goa... even in 5 stars it doesn't hurt you as much... :)
    and the best part is you have couple of places serving you 24 hours at decent rates :)

    ReplyDelete